Thursday, July 17, 2014

If You Build it, Will They Come?

An inquiring vendor asked me some pertinent questions prior to applying for our very first event this Sunday.  I do not have all the answers, and the answers I do have are still questioned, at least until after this event when I will truly be able to answer specific questions for vendors who are a bit reluctant to give us a try.  I'm including my answer to her response below:

"The Bazaar, for me, is my livelihood.  I dedicate everyday to promoting this event from 8am and beyond, and the existence of Bazaar Sundays in South Bend as a whole.  I’ve advertised in as many internet event searches as possible, paid advertisements through Facebook, Google and “In the Bend.”  I attempt to saturate the market with as many free advertisement opportunities as possible.  As this event grows, I have opportunities to advertise way beyond what I have now.  Being this our first event, and my attempt to acquire a more varied type of vendor, I cannot provide much more pertaining to traffic and such.  The event will be located on the corner of Jefferson and Niles in the East Race.  There is plenty of traffic by vehicle down that area since it is more readily used.  Jewelry is always going to be the more heavily handcrafted item.  I try not to have the same type of vendor, which of course when handcrafted there is a "better" chance of originality.

As a “starving artist” myself, I understand the life of a crafter/artist/creator/designer.  I know what it is like not to sell anything, and to sell only one thing.  I have set aside my craft for this opportunity to help others.  I design and create my own line of handbags, backpacks, dog carriers, polymer clay items, zombie dolls, etc. etc.  My small business is CYGI in the Bend dba Bazaar Sundays in South Bend.  My small business turned three in May.

All I ask of my vendors is to give me the opportunity to provide them with the best possible venue and event.  In other words, my vendor must have faith in my goal for these events.  I will be providing business cards for my vendors to use as advertisement for both the events and recruiting of more vendors.  “If you build it, they will come,”  or at least I will have the space for it."


No comments:

Post a Comment